Skip Navigation
Willington, Connecticut
Link for Residents

Link for Businesses

Link to Home Page
This table is used for column layout.

Willington Town Seal

View/Pay your Tax Bill



Burning Official
Contact TypeContact Information
Richard Palmer
Fire Marshal
40 Old Farms Rd
Willington, CT 06279
Fire Marshal Richard Palmer is also the Town's Open Burning Official.

He can be contacted at 860-429-7757 which is at the Town Office Building, 40 Old Farms Rd, Willington CT .

The Open Burning Requirements are:

Town of Willington
Open Burning Permits & Requirements

The following requirements are effective January 1, 2000.

The Fire Marshal will issue all 'Open Burning Permits'.  Permits can be obtained by calling 860-429-7757.  If the Fire Marshal is not available, please leave a message with your name, address and phone number.  The Fire Marshal will get back to you as soon as possible.

Burning Permit requests will be taken Monday through Thursday Only.  
Permits will then be delivered to the Willington Fire Department #1 on Friday mornings.  The Willington Fire Department #1 is located at 426 River Road, Willington CT.  Please schedule your project accordingly.

Burning is to be Done By Permit ONLY.  Failure to obtain a permit may result in police action.

You may only burn on a low or moderate fire hazard day.  Once you receive the permit you must call (860) 424-3630, or go to  or  to see the burning index for that day online.  

There is no longer the requirement to call the dispatch center.

These are the rules that apply to buring brush:
1.  Brush must be 4 inches or less in diameter.

2.  The fire must be attended at ALL times.

3.  Burning must be on the property for which the permit is issued.  Houses under construction and businesses may NOT burn.

4.  Burning must be conducted between 10am and 5pm on sunny or partly sunny days with wind speeds less than 15 miles per hour.  The fire must be  completely out by 5pm.

5.  Burning isn't allowed during High or Extreme Hazard conditions.

6.  The following items are NOT to be burned - demolition waste, garbage, paper, plastic, painted materials, rubber, metal, leaves or stumps.  

Complaints received about unattended fires or fires left burning, can lead to the State of Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection issuing a 'cease recreation burning' for the occupant and/or property owner.

Brush can also be taken to the Transfer Station on Hancock Rd, Willington during normal operating hours.

Permits are not required for the following:
1.  Barbecues or other outdoor cooking.

2.  Campfires, bonfires with brush under 3 inch diameter and 4 foot diameter circle for recreational or other activities including ceremonial purposes.  All fires must be completely out when finished.

revised 9/18/2008